Blog Description

This blog will discuss racing from a the perspective of a fan. Whether it be NASCAR to my local dirt track, and anything in between, this blog will cover it. It will be honest and uncut, so there may be some adult language.

Sunday, August 12, 2012

Announcing...an underappreciated art I now appreciate more.

Announcers.  When you go to the track, their voice either graces the PA and informs the people of what is going on, including times, action, driver facts/statistics, and some advertising for the track.  Others can make the track experience much less enjoyable.  From butchering driver names, not being informed, being obnoxious, etc., they can make a fan experience much less enjoyable.  I have always had certain expectations/standards as to what makes a good announcer.   Someone who knows the names of drivers, facts/statistics about the drivers (nicknames, career accomplishments, season to date info), doesn't try to call what isn't there, and doesn't try to be funny and is just natural on the mic are those who I consider good or great.  Names that come to mind in all forms of motorsports include Tom Carnige, Bob Jenkins, James Essex, Rick Eschelman, Bret Emerick, Dustin Jarrett, Chris Nunn, Mike Meurer, Johnny Gibson, Mike Norris,  and Larry Limbach are all announcers whom have honed their craft after many years and who among their respective spectrums in the racing world, are considered the best at their craft.
On the Monday before the Mary Lee Standridge Memorial event at Jacksonville Speedway, I was discussing with a group of fans about Twitter, and the subject of whether I could do it and Tweet(something I have really become known for as of late) came up.  Like I said, I don't think it would be as easy, but promoter Kenny Dobson asked me if I wanted to take a shot at it and call the UMP Late Model portion of the program.  I had thought about announcing for a long time, and with the encouragement of a few friends/followers, I decided to give it a whirl, knowing that this was a big honor and I might just be able to leave my own positive mark on the program.  Needless to say, it just came naturally.  That was because I have watched the sport with knowledgeable people, and heard some of the best in racing call the action.  It was a fun experience, and I ended up calling home a big local/regional fan favorite, and good friend, "The Highside Hustler" Jason Feger.  The look on Jason's face when he got out and realized that I was the announcer and was going to be doing the interview was PRICELESS.  That night on social media and the next night at Macon Speedway, my Saturday night home track, friends and fans were coming up and letting me know I had done a great job.  Needless to say, it was humbling, and I was thankful for all of the kind words.  Apparently I do have a knack for it after all.  I will definitely pick up the mic gain in the future and give it another go.
After being put in the position, I do have a much greater appreciation for those who do this all the time.  It takes constant information, good sources/friends, a personable attitude, and a good presentation style to deliver on the mic.  Some parts of it you can learn.  However, you have to be comfortable speaking publicly. This is really one of those things you can learn some, but you either have it or you don't. 

No comments:

Post a Comment